Sunday, September 15, 2013

Coping with bad news.

My Giorgio (Maltese) had his second echo-cardiogram yesterday.  His chronic heart disease has gone from “moderate” three months ago to “marked.”  And, there is a mass (.8cm) in the left atrial wall, possibly a blood clot or other mass.


The only way to ascertain what the mass is would be to bring him someplace to have an MRI.  That’s just not a possibility.  The cost is prohibitive, but, more than that, if we find out that it is a mass there is no surgical option.  It is in a very difficult place.


So the doctor said to treat him for a blood clot with a quarter of the low dose aspirin (81mg coated aspirin) and then we just hope for the best.


Meanwhile, I am terrified of the inevitable day when he has the attack that will kill him.  It is inevitable, even though I know we’re doing everything we possibly can for him.  I’m restricting his exercise as much as one possibly can with a small dog who lives to jump and run and play.


He greats me at the door every time I come home, bringing one of his stuffed toys to me and calling out with his famous Aroo!  Aroo!


 Aroo to you Giorgio.  I’m so glad you don’t know what is happening inside your big heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment