Monday, September 23, 2013

Cats are not small dogs and dogs are not small humans

Cats are not small dogs and dogs are not small humans




A LONG time ago, the first week of vet school, I received some very good advice from a wonderful professor. I was told that if I could remember that cats are not small dogs and dogs are not small humans, I’d keep myself, and my patients, out of a lot of trouble. My colleagues understand what I’m saying but I’ll explain the significance of that wonderful nugget of information to you folks reading this blog. You can’t treat cats like dogs and you can’t treat cats and dogs like humans. You see, if you understood this, you would not kill your cat by giving it Tylenol or your dog Ibuprophen. We just love to hear how you used some of “Your” medicine to treat your pet…and now we have to try to fix the mess you created. So please, DON”T SELF MEDICATE YOUR PET – they’re not small humans. ALWAYS call a vet before giving any medications – most towns/cities have 24 hour care so there is a vet you can reach by phone – that phone call may just save your pets life.

No comments:

Post a Comment