Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Aspirin Is a Wonder Drug






No drug is more taken for granted than plain old aspirin. Not only does it cure headaches, but it can help make your heart healthier. And its side effects are minimal, to say the least. Aspirin is a wonder drug.


Besides being used to alleviate headaches, aspirin is also often used to reduce fever. Personally, nothing works better for a fever OR a headache than plain old aspirin. And I’ve tried everything–Aleve, Ibuprofen, Tylenol, even Hydrocodone.


If my back hurts, sure, I’d rather have Ibuprofen.


And if I’ve broken a leg, then sure, I’ll take Hydrocodone, but it’s addictive as hell. It’s probably a drug best stayed away from even if you’re in pain, but it’s a handy narcotic to have a prescription for if you’re in severe pain.


Low doses of aspirin can prevent and help manage heart attacks and strokes. It has some kind of effect that helps with the clotting, which is what usually causes a heart attack or a stroke. I’m not a doctor, and I know it’s not as common, but I’d guess that aspirin might help with a pulmonary embolism, too, but I’m not sure.


But aspirin does have some side effects, especially in children. It can cause stomach bleeding and ulcers. I’ve heard that it can also cause tinnitus. I’ve never experienced any of these side effects though, and I’ve never met anyone else who suffered from them either. My guess is that drinking enough water with the aspirin would help with the stomach ulcer business, but I’m not a doctor, so I don’t know.


Did you know?


40,000 tons of aspirin are taken by patients every year.


Taking aspirin before a long flight can reduce the chances of having a blood clot.


The standard dose for aspirin varies slightly from country to country. For example, in the United States, a tablet is 325 mg, while in England, it’s 300 mg.


Some people are allergic to aspirin.


Taking large doses of aspirin for long periods of time can cause bad side effects. (Duh, it’s a drug. Any large dose of any drug taken for a long time can cause side effects.)


Willow bark has been used to treat headaches and other pain for thousands of years. It contains the same active ingredient that aspirin does, salicylic acid.


Even veterinarians sometimes use aspirin when treating dogs and other animals, but you shouldn’t give your dog aspirin without getting instructions from the vet first.


Aspirin Is a Wonder Drug


Anyway..aspirin is a wonder drug. I’ve been on lots of medications in my life, and aspirin has been one of the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment